Once a small community, this lovely west-end neighbourhood has many fine attributes including stately homes on mature lots, a historic shopping district on Dundas Street, lots of green space and parkland plus is convenient to TTC and GO Transit stations; plus the Mimico Creek and Islington Golf Club wind their way through the centre of this picturesque neighbourhood.
Islington Village is home to the “Paint the Street” Festival and as you wander along Dundas, you’ll see the inspirations for the festival…larger-than-life, exceptional quality murals that adorn the walls of many of its buildings..
Islington's houses date from the 1930's, 40's, and 50's. The older houses in this neighbourhood represent some of the best examples of Georgian, Colonial, English Cottage and Tudor style houses in the city. There is also a nice mix of Cape Cod style houses, ranch style bungalows and split-level homes. Many of these houses are situated on premium size lots that either front or back onto the Islington Golf Course.
Islington now has a growing number of custom-built new homes. Most of which are designed to blend in with the older houses in the neighbourhood. House prices range from $500,000 to 1,000,000+.
The Islington Village shopping district on Dundas Street has an upscale tone with a small town feel. You’ll find a bakery/deli, drug store, flower shops, coffee shops, aesthetics stores and hair salons, a post office, fashion boutiques, a consignment shop, plus a good selection of restaurants like Oregano and Pinocchio. The newly revived Etobicoke Life publication is located here as well as a few student tutoring centres, lawyers, financial services, the Neilson Park Creative Centre and more.
The historic Montgomery's Inn located at 4709 Dundas Street West, is now a museum. This Georgian Loyalist Inn with its handsome riverstone exterior is one of the most beautiful and alluring buildings in Toronto. Montgomery's Inn hosts a number of year-round festivals, a lecture series, and afternoon tea in its cozy tea room.
The Islington Golf Club features a Par 72, 6400 yard course that was designed by renowned golf course architect Stanley Thompson. This private club has a friendly atmosphere and is geared towards families.
If tennis is your game you will want to head to Rosethorn Park located just north of the Islington Golf Club. This park has three tennis courts and a children's playground.
The Islington Baseball League has been in operation since 1952. This club operates out of Rosethorn Park. Programs include Co-ed T-Ball, Boys and Girls Rookie Ball, Clinics and Rep teams.
Motorists are approximately twenty minutes from downtown Toronto via Bloor Street. Commuters are within a ten minute drive of the Islington and Kipling Avenue on-ramps to Highway 401 which connects to all of Toronto's major highways.
Looking to buy, sell or lease a home in the Islington Village neighbourhood, please call Gillian Tenneson, Coldwell Banker Terrequity Realty - 416-495-2267.
A Brief History of Islington Village - Islington’s first settlers, George and Mary Johnson, made the arduous journey to the area - originally called Mimico - from Pennsylvania in the late 1700’s. Their land grant originally fronting on Dundas Street was later exchanged for one on Kilpling Avenue between Bloor Street and Burnhamthorpe Road.
Some of George and Mary's descendents still live in Etobicoke and various branches of their family built four Islington homes which are still standing: 66 Burnhamthorpe Road, 1100, 1078 and 1056 Kipling Avenue. As an aside, the current owners of 1078 Kipling are planning a birthday party for their house which is 150 years old this year. (They have the papers to prove it!)
While Mimico Creek at Islington was a factor in attracting settlers, of much greater importance was Dundas Street which, in primitive conditions, was in existence in the early 1800’s and extended into York (now Toronto) as well as westward for many miles.
Islington's first school house was built on the corner of the Johnson property on Burnhamthorpe Road. In 1832 a regular public school was built on the site which is now Islington Seniors’ Centre. In 1883 the school’s trustees replaced that building with a larger one located just south of Dundas, on the west side of Cordova Avenue. Remembered as ‘the little red schoolhouse”, it had buff brick trim, double doors, skylights and a handsome belfry.
By 1915 the school population had expanded and a frame edition was required. A new six room school with auditorium, playroom, drinking fountains and indoor plumbing was opened in 1921. Over the years the school has further expanded and remodeled and is today known as Islington Community School at 44 Cordova.
Transportation links aided Islington’s development. In 1879 Canning Avenue (now Cordova) was built to connect Islington’s village centre, at Dundas and Canning/Cordova, with the new railway station at Bloor and Islington. The new road gave the community’s market gardeners and farmers easier access goods and supplies. The railway allowed daily commuters to into Toronto by train.
Some of Islington’s early buildings still stand. St. Georges On-the-Hill was originally built between 1844 and 1847. Islington’s Post Office once operated from the back parlour of the postmaster’s house at 4884 Dundas (now home to three new businesses: Mashino Fashion Accessories, Mekong Gifts, Aromas & Accessories and GG Aesthetics). The Fox ‘n Fiddle was the site of Islington’s first church; then the first township hall and library; and then the District Police Headquarters in 1957.
In 1830 Thomas Montgomery erected a large, stone Inn on the hill east of Mimico Creek. In the early days, Montgomery Inn was home to the Montgomery family, a farm and a hotel that provided hospitality to road-weary travelers. The property has changed hands several times over the years.
In 1946 it was sold to the Presbyterian Church and renovated. It barely missed the wrecker’s ball in 1962 when it was bought by developer Louis Mayzel who had planned to demolish the Inn and build an office tower on the site. Etobicoke Historical Society saved the day by purchasing the property, restoring it and turning it into a living museum.
Montgomery's Inn is open for tours year round. The tearoom is open from 2 to 4 PM and meeting rooms are available for special events.